Oh hey there.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 § 6

I’m Kyle.

A photographer, avid reader, twin brother, and foodie.

But more importantly for this blog, a budding LGBT rights activist.
Rather than organizing rallies and sit-ins like the admirable Lt. Dan Choi, I’ll be writing about issues that affect the LGBT community. Stuff like Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, homo/trans-phobia, bullying, hateful language, the fight for same-sex marriage, and gender neutral pronouns.

Though I’ve always had a strong interest in LGBT issues, my interest ballooned after a history project last spring on the Gay Liberation Movement. Events like the Stonewall Riots, the first Gay Pride Parades, and early activists like Sylvia Rivera and Brenda Howard all served to inspire me. The amount of progress that that generation made starting from almost nothing was incredible.

My generation is growing up in a time of immense change for the LGBT community. We’re on the verge of achieving workplace protection for individuals regardless of their sexual or gender identity. So, so close to allowing gay people to serve openly in the military. But at the same time, we have a ways to go. Hate crimes against the LGBT community are still rampant, and often not even recorded as such. Many people still remain militantly opposed to same-sex marriages, handpicking bible quotes to support their beliefs.

And though my generation is likely the most tolerant yet, we simply don’t have a strong voice in the blogosphere on queer issues. Maybe it’s because teens are still afraid of being labeled as gay, that they’re simply too busy writing college essays, or any of the other reasons out there. Either way, teen’s voices are sorely unrepresented.

So that’s why I’m here. To tell stories about the people involved with the LGBT movement from my perspective. Of their wins, their losses, and most importantly their spirit.

Like the old adage says, the pen can often be mightier than the sword. I guess we’ll see how mine stacks up.

What's this?

You are currently reading Oh hey there. at LGBT Etcetera.

meta

§ 6 Response to “Oh hey there.”

  • Kate says:

    Great first post. I like your writing style and am looking forward to reading more about LGBT, etc. issues. I think you're right that our generation is not active enough for how tolerant we allegedly are. Hope your blog works. -- Kate H

  • Lenny says:

    Fan of the cause. Larger fan of Kyle. I'll be reading anything you write, so I'm glad you're writing something important.

  • Kolot says:

    It's so nice to see a new young voice on the side of tolerance and equality. I have subscribed to your blog and hope to read more of your writing.

    Kent "Kolot" Sinkey, an expat in the Philippines.

  • Thanks Lenny, Kate, and Kolot, I'm really grateful that all of you are choosing to follow my blog!

  • Love this Kyle! Your writing style is awesome, it feels just perfect for the context. I know this is something you care about so I'm interested to read more of what you have to say :]

  • Courageous. Compassionate. Committed. I'd expect nothing less from you, Kyle. You've already changed the world for the better. If only more of us had your spirit...Can't wait to see your thoughts unfold.

§ Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...