Lady Gaga Has Set the Bar

Monday, February 14, 2011 § 3

It’s been a good year for the LGBT community with regards to pop music.

We’ve had songs like P!nk’s “Raise Your Glass”, Ke$ha’s “We R Who R”, and Katy Perry’s “Firework”, all of which were made with thought towards, or were partially dedicated to the struggles of the LGBT community, especially bullied teens in light of the “It Gets Better Project”.

These songs sent a message to the world that it’s okay to be who you are, whether it’s gay, transgender, lesbian, or under no particular label. Though I might have individual gripes with some of those artists, I really appreciate their support. They set the bar pretty high for any artist who claims to support the LGBT community.

This past Friday, Lady Gaga just knocked that bar up a few more notches, with the release of her new single, “Born This Way”, which she performed for the first time at last night’s Grammys.


Egg
Uploaded by caseycarlsonx1. - Classic TV and last night's shows, online.

Gaga’s lyrics include the phrases, "Don't be a drag, just be a queen" and "No matter gay, straight or bi/ Lesbian, transgendered life/ I'm on the right track, baby/ I was born to survive."

As you can see, it’s not really possible for her lyrics to be any more explicit in their support of the LGBT community. Though you might be able to listen to “Firework” without getting its message to bullied gay teens, if you listen to “Born This Way”, you’re gonna get a whole earful of unabashed support for the LGBT community.

To put it simply, in addition to “talking the talk”, she “also walks the walk”. Lady Gaga doesn’t just write songs in support of the LGBT community, she also acts as a high profile activist – a prominent example being her push towards DADT repeal.

While I have my critiques of Lady Gaga, she’s the most high profile supporter the LGBT community has, and she does a pretty darn good job.

I’m in no way saying that all artists need to be blatant in their support of the LGBT community in their music, or act as an activist for them to have my respect. But if they want be considered a valued ally to the LGBT community, Lady Gaga is a good, if tough, act to follow.

Here’s to hoping that the bar gets raised even higher.

What's this?

You are currently reading Lady Gaga Has Set the Bar at LGBT Etcetera.

meta

§ 3 Response to “Lady Gaga Has Set the Bar”

  • Kate says:

    So glad Lady Gaga decided to do this. I'm always pleasantly surprised by her and her passion and dedication to political causes. Thanks for posting the video. I had been wanting to see it and missed the live performance.

  • I totally agree with what you're saying here Kyle. I love songs like Firework because they are applicable to any number of individuals, but I really enjoy Born This Way because it is explicit and that really propels LGBT issues forward. Although I think the song is a bit annoying, I can definitely appreciate her message.

  • craiggay says:

    What you say is true Kyle. While prior to the release of "Born This Way" I already held distaste for it - I blame a few bad "leaked" versions of the song, once I heard it I again had a strong appreciation for GaGa. Not only is the song catchy, but the message is clear and I can't condemn a song for its blatant support. Also, what sick choreography she has hahah.

§ Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...