How This Blog Freed My [Queer] Voice

Sunday, May 8, 2011 § 8

I started this blog last September, as an open assignment for English class.

At that point, I had been interested in the LGBTQ community for years, as I slowly came to the realization that I was a part of it. I was well informed on DADT, Proposition 8, and ENDA, to name just a few issues, and kept my ears perked when the topics of sexuality or gender identity came up among my family and friends. I had strong opinions on these issues, but my mouth was closed. I wasn’t comfortable sharing my views with my friends, family or the rest of the world; it was much easier to remain silent. My voice remained trapped in a gilded cage.

As I sat brainstorming a topic for my blog, there was only one that made me excited to write weekly posts. So, despite a few pangs of worry, I cracked that cage door open just a bit.

I hesitantly created this blog, and you (probably) know the rest. That gilded door swung open more and more. Since that first post in September, I’ve covered topics like the importance of the term “queer”,  the biblical argument against homosexuality, and the construct of gender as binary.

My voice was no longer locked away, hidden behind bars. It was out there for my friends, family, and the rest of the world to hear, and they began to listen. For this, I was glad, because the topics I wrote about aren’t just significant to me, but also to the LGBTQ community as a whole. I wrote, shared my voice, because I wanted to bring about change. I wanted to help people question their assumptions of heterosexism, and to challenge bullying when they see it. I wanted my readers to think about the world in a new way, to open their eyes a bit – and I think in that regard, I succeeded. Through this blog, I was able to open dialogues with my peers, parents, and even LGBTQ activists who I admire greatly, dialogues that would have formerly went unspoken. This blog has done more than just knock that door off of its hinges – it has acted as an extension of my voice, and from that, the change I advocate for in the world. With this blog, I began my career as an activist.

My voice has always been strong, but there was always an aspect of it that was hidden. My voice is many things. It’s intelligent, indignant, and critical, but it’s also queer. Through blogging, I’ve been able to embrace that part of my identity, and finally free my voice out of its cage.

Now, it’s May, and graduation is coming up fast. With it, will come summer, college, and the probable conclusion of this blog (or at least much less frequent updates).

So though this is somewhat of a good-bye post, it’s in no way a good-bye to my passion for LGBTQ equality, or my pride in who I am. This blog set my voice free, and it’s not going to be locked up again. You may not be able to hear it here quite so easily, but if you pop into Brown’s Queer Alliance, or read the Daily Herald, I think you’ll still be able to hear it pretty damn clearly.

And for that, I just wanted to say, to all my readers, a sincere, resounding thank-you.

What's this?

You are currently reading How This Blog Freed My [Queer] Voice at LGBT Etcetera.

meta

§ 8 Response to “How This Blog Freed My [Queer] Voice”

  • Keep up the good work.

  • Daniel says:

    Beautiful, inspiring, and amazing post. Although I'm not queer myself, I have found a desire to be connected to the LGBTQ community through your words. It gives me great faith to know that people like you are fighting to end our generation's most shameful case of discrimination. I couldn't be more proud to be your classmate. Keep it up!

  • Kate says:

    I completely agree with Daniel. This could not have been a more eloquent and more inspiring post. Throughout the year your blog has gotten me to think more critically about issues that I sometimes have never even heard of before and always are important. Your voice has definitely been heard, and I, along with all your followers, am so glad you have made that happen. You have made an activist and an ally out of me, and I look forward to hearing what your voice has to share in the future.-- Kate H

  • Kyle I love love love your blog and I will so miss your frequent posting in the months to come. I really value your analysis, perspective, and the critical issues you address. As you know, I have always been very into LGBT issues and rights, and your blog has propelled that for me. Above all, I am not only proud of your work as a blogger but how you've grown as a person throughout the past four years :) You are a great person and I know you will do fantastic things in the years to come! Best of luck :)

  • Steph says:

    Kyle, you have truly been an inspiration for me throughout high school, and I could not be prouder to be your friend. I hope you continue to share your thoughts on this issue because everyone needs to hear what you write on this blog. I know that you have the potential to be a brilliant activist for the LGBTQ community and I will always be your strong supporter. Through your blog I have realized that we all have to play a part in fighting homophobia and bigotry wherever we find it. I couldn't be prouder that you started this blog because it took true courage to share your experiences and thoughts.

  • craiggay says:

    Thank you Kyle for all that you have done, I feel you deserve thanks more than we do. If not thanks, at least let us give you some laud for your inspiring words. It's a shame to see the blog end but I look forward to reading your pieces in the Daily Herald - Brown is going to be a great place for you I have no doubt! Congratulations again on your accomplishments Kyle, the blogosphere (and Brown!) is lucky to have you!

  • MelanieV says:

    What a beautiful post to wrap up your blog with! Like Daniel, I've become more and more interested in the LGBT community throughout the year thanks to your blog. Everything you write is gripping, fresh, eloquent, and very much your own. I love hearing your voice in the blogosphere, in class, and everywhere I see you, Kyle! (I can't wait to hear it more when you're on Brown's extremely long winter break).

  • "My voice was no longer locked away, hidden behind bars".

    I'm very proud how you've freed your voice because it is this voice that has the opportunity to shape the future for others. I hope you'll find that blogging continues to be part of your fabric for sharing your voice of change in order to create a better, brighter tomorrow.

§ Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...